School District # 113 was organized in 1892. It was named the Cunningham School for John Cunningham on whose land the original school was located. Early area settlers came from Czechoslovakia and some of the old school board minutes are written in Czech.
Students from the Kucera, Kliment, Strizek, Matousek, Hladik and Berniklau families carried their own water to the school along with their school books.
Office of the County Superintendent, Saunders County, "District #113 - Cunningham" (1976). Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History. 13.