During the years of 1870 or 1871 a sod school was located on the Frank Staat' s Homestead. The furniture consisted of benches for the teacher and the children.
In 1874 the Bell or Plato School was built. It was located on the south end of Section 5, Township 14, Range 6 East. The interior was lined with siding. The furniture consisted of planks on nail kegs and a wood burning stove. Mr. John L. Coleman taught for a salary of $25. 00 per month.
Office of the County Superintendent, Saunders County, "District #103 - Weston" (1976). Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History. 19.