The first public school in Valparaiso was established on Section 22, upon the land of Andrew Johnson, who with the assistance of R. K. Johnson, built a frame schoolhouse. The school was opened in the winter of 1868-69 with Miss Adeline States, later Mrs. C. Johnson as the teacher. Mrs. Johnson taught but a short time, and was succeeded by J. K. Van Demark. The district included the entire precinct and the school board consisted of Andrew Johnson, director; Rev. George Worley, moderator; and R. K. Johnson, treasurer. This building was also used for a Union Sunday School and church. The minister of the church was Rev. George Worley, Some of the pupils who attended this school were: Dan Hedges, Charlie Nichelsen, Columbus Edie and Mrs. Grant Glassburn.
Office of the County Superintendent, Saunders County, "District #101 - Valparaiso" (1976). Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History. 20.