In the early 1870's a sod house served as the first school for District #74. The school was given the name Happy Hollow School. The building was located on the NW¼ of Section 24, Newman Precinct. It was later moved a half mile south on a half acre of land donated by Joseph B. Bartek.
A new school with three windows on each side was built in about 1900 by carpenters, Pallat and Brabec. The first building which had two windows on each side was purchased by Joe Caha and moved to his farm one half mile south.
Office of the County Superintendent, Saunders County, "District #74" (1976). Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History. 27.